Tuesday 8 September 2009

Go Real Nappy Blog - Sandra Curley, Week 1



Hello, my name is Sandra and I am a Waste Minimisation Officer at Birmingham City Council. My job is to promote real nappies. I also provide information, help and advice to parents thinking about using real nappies.

By real nappies, I mean cloth or washable nappies. They come in so many varieties and materials, I tend not to call them cotton nappies anymore.

My own experience with real nappies was 20 years ago when my son Alex was born. My mum bought me a pack of a dozen Zorbit nappies, 3 plastic pull on pants (yuk), a couple of huge nappy pins and a roll of nasty paper liners. I can’t remember using many disposables at all, if any. But I do remember that he potty trained very quickly during his second summer. A couple of weeks running around wearing little pants, a potty in each room, weeing in the garden aiming at the daisies and we were soon potty trained. I didn’t manage to beat my mother-in-law’s record of 11 months though!

I am getting an increasing number of mums-to-be calling for information about real nappies, it is really encouraging, and if I had a pound for everyone who has asked me “which nappy should I buy?” I would be a happy nappy lady! I think it is really important to get the right nappies, if they don’t fit properly you can get leaks, if they are complicated you or a partner/grandparent, might not bother with using them, certain fabrics take longer to dry and you might not have a quick enough turnover, and any of these could result in using disposables. A nappy trial is a great idea and you should have a look to see if anyone in your area offers this service.

No comments:

Post a Comment